Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Welcome, baby Isaac!

The story of Isaac in the Bible is quite.... dramatic if you ask me. Hello - Abraham and Sarah are super old and have this tiny bundle of joy only to later be asked to sacrifice him on an alter... but then at the last second as Abraham is about to go through with it God provides a way out and Isaac is saved. Yep. Dramatic.

Well, I can relate. On a much smaller scale of course. Dan and I had been very anxiously awaiting our son's arrival... and waiting... and waiting... and finally the day came for an appointment. 

My due date was Sunday, December 30th, 2012 - which came and went with no signs of our baby coming at all. How disappointing! Then Monday... then Tuesday... then Wednesday we had the appointment. Nope - no signs of him coming still. So we went to the hospital on Thursday night in order to see if we could "get things started a bit." They had me on antibiotics because I had tested positive as a carrier for Group B strep at a previous appointment (that was also a scary thing) and also started me on Cervidil for the evening and had me stay the night. In the morning, I had made minimal progress - very small contractions that really just felt like cramps and no dilation. So Friday morning they started the Pitocin. (I SO didn't want Pitocin). Dan and I spent the entire day at the hospital on this stuff, antibiotics, and fluids. My family came to visit and we played cards... I suppose it went fine. But the contractions only got slightly more uncomfortable and I only made it to 1 cm by the end of the day. Sigh. They stopped the Pitocin and let me rest at the hospital again overnight.

Saturday - day two of Pitocin (remember? I SOOOO didn't want Pitocin!!!). This was the real day of misery. First they broke my water to see if that would also aid in getting things started, then they began the Pit again. I began to contract more regularly and with increasing intensity - which was horrible but great at the same time. I wanted to have our baby soon! I had been waiting and waiting and waiting for him and things just weren't happening. Mid-way through the day, the nurses came to check in with me and realized that the fluid that was leaking from the breaking of my water was greenish brown. My baby had been living in his own feces for at least a few days. I was scared that he would be born with an infection or with trouble breathing. They said they would be careful about monitoring him.

Saturday went on and well, the contractions were getting so painful I started thinking "this has got to be it! I have to be at least 7 cms by now - this HAS to be transition time!" I think I could have broken Dan's fingers right off of his hands for about 4 hours that day. 

My doctor came in to check me, and LO AND BEHOLD.... I was only 2 cms dilated and in so much pain. I was so disappointed and so exhausted and really I just cried because it was getting so ridiculous. I wanted a natural childbirth - wanted to go without drugs and everything. And so far - after 48 hours of being at the hospital - I had stuck to that plan and had been a trooper for trying. But it just wasn't happening.

The midwife suggested that perhaps my body could use some relaxation - it could be that if I had some pain medicine I would progress a little just from not being so tense. This isn't what I wanted, but then again - I didn't want two days of labor either. So they gave me something (I don't even remember what) that made it so I could feel the contractions but I didn't care about them really. It was the oddest sensation - I felt like I was dreaming about the whole experience. You can ask Dan what kind of crazy strange things I said. After they checked me again - the drug had made no difference in my progress and my contractions were still very painful (though somehow I cared less). So they went ahead and did an epidural (remember the Pitocin and how I didn't want that? Multiply that by 10 and thats how much I didn't want an epidural!). At this point, the epidural was my last option for a vaginal delivery. The epidural did wonders for the pain of contractions. It felt like I wasn't having them at all! I was scared that I just ruined all progress. I felt so sleepy and numb. I hate feeling like I have no control over my body. Well, the epidural didn't move things along either. I was essentially stuck at 2 cms and involuntarily pounding my baby boy into my pelvis.

Time for a C-section. Forget about not wanting Pitocin. Forget about not wanting an epidural. A C-section? That is the one thing I just hadn't even considered as a possibility! My pregnancy had been so healthy, my baby had always been exactly on track, everything had been normal if not 'excellent.' Why was this happening? But I trusted my Drs and we went ahead and signed the paperwork. Within an hour, I was whisked away into the operating room with my hubby at my side and very very shortly after I met and kissed and cried with joy over my beautiful son.

Isaac Daniel was born via C-section on Saturday, January 5th, 2013 weighing 7 lbs, 9 ounces and measuring 20 1/2 inches long. He came out loudly - no problems with those lungs at all! He came out blue, but pinked up after given some oxygen. He came out. Finally! And dramatically.

Dan and I had debated what name to give our baby for a long time. We didn't even know for sure until the day he was born that he would be Isaac. Abraham and Sarah longed for their baby Isaac and waited and waited for him. Abraham was asked to give his son completely to his God, and he would have even made a sacrifice out of his faithfulness to God. Our birth story with Isaac has proven that God is in control, that even if we don't understand why things are happening - God does and will provide a way out. Isaac means "He will Laugh." And we cannot wait to hear him do so! He has brought us so much joy already. (o: 

Welcome, baby Isaac!


  1. Birth is such a miracle - even if you have to wait and wait - and then YOUR plan is not the final one that brings your little son into your arms. God bless your family.

  2. So happy he's finally here! Hooray! And what a relief that you're both safe & healthy. :) love you guys!

  3. I'm sorry that things didn't go (at all) how you expected. there were definitely scary moments in there for you. Nolan was 9 days late, and I was concerned about the meconium. Hopefully neither you nor I will have to be overdue again!
    Issac is beautiful--congratulations!!